Hong Kong authorities said at a press conference Thursday that no unusual signs and cracks had been found in the structure of an inter-regional bridge connecting Hong Kong, Zhuhai and Macao, following reports of "faked" lab tests of the concrete used for construction.
Yau Shing-mu, acting secretary for Transport and Housing, said at the press conference that they launched immediate structural inspection on three port and link road projects in Hong Kong that are connected to the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge on May 19 after learning about the alleged falsification of concrete compression test results, the Xinhua News Agency reported Thursday.
The results of the inspections showed that all structures in the three projects are fine, Yau said, adding that the bureau had also asked engineers to conduct non-destructive testing of concrete strength in the three projects.
To date, the inspection has not detected any sign of safety problems, thus the construction would continue as planned, according to Yau.
The Independent Commission Against Corruption of Hong Kong Tuesday announced on its website that they had arrested two senior executives and 19 staff members of a contractor of the Civil Engineering and Development Department (CEDD) for alleged corruption in relation to their submission of false concrete compression test results.
The contractor had been testing concrete samples to be used for Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge since January 2013.
Lam Sai-hung, director of the CEDD, said at the conference that they launched an investigation in July 2016 after noticing some unusual signs at the time of the test reports.