A popular Hong Kong-style dim sum restaurant in Shanghai has been ordered to close after several diners complained of stomach problems, the city's food watchdog said yesterday.
All nine outlets of LIST and its central kitchen were ordered to suspend operations after complaints from diners who had eaten at branches of the restaurant, the Shanghai Food and Drug Administration said.
Food and raw materials at the restaurants have been sealed and samples sent for laboratory tests.
Delivery services have also been ordered to remove the restaurant from their lists, the administration said.
On restaurant review website dianping.com, the restaurant is no longer listed.
At its outlets at Metro City in Xuhui District and Super Brand Mall in the Pudong New Area, there are signs saying the restaurants are undergoing interior upgrading.
There have been a number of complaints posted online by diners.
One said that he and four colleagues had lunch at one of the outlets at Super Brand Mall last Tuesday after which four of them suffered fever and gastroenteritis.
Another said she developed a fever and diarrhea after having a meal at the CapitaLand Hongkou Plaza outlet on July 15. She said she had been put on an intravenous drip for two days.
Another diner complained that she had suffered a fever of 39.5 degrees and had vomited twice. She posted her medical treatment record online.
In a statement, LIST said that it had closed all its outlets and had conducted checks on staff, materials, equipment and dishwater immediately after the incidents. It said it was actively cooperating with the administration's investigation.
It issued an apology and said it was waiting for the result of the administration's tests.
Under Shanghai's food regulations, businesses producing and selling tainted food or food that threatens people's health can be fined up to 20 times the value of the food and, in serious cases, have their business licenses revoked.
The administration said summer is the peak time of food poisoning cases and food businesses should strictly abide by food regulations.