Chinese police hand over a suspected child abuser－a United States citizen－to US law enforcement officials at Shanghai Pudong International Airport on Monday. (Zheng Shuai/China Daily)
A suspected child sexual abuser from the United States who fled to China was sent back by Chinese police on Monday, the Ministry of Public Security said.
According to the ministry, the police handed the suspect over to U.S. law enforcement officials at Shanghai Pudong International Airport on Monday afternoon, where officers from the U.S. Justice Department took him into custody to escort him back to the U.S. to face trial.
The suspect, whose name was withheld, is a U.S. citizen and came to China on a tourist visa, the authorities said.
The repatriation is the latest example of cooperation between the two countries to hunt down fugitives since the first round of dialogue on law enforcement and network security earlier this month, according to a statement provided by the Chinese authorities.
Between July 2009 and August 2012, the suspect was accused of sexually assaulting girls between 6 to 12 years of age in the U.S.. In June last year, after the FBI launched an investigation, the suspect fled.
In June this year, Interpol issued a red notice calling for his apprehension.
According to the ministry, the man went to Shanghai in May. The U.S. authorities shared evidence with their Chinese counterparts and asked them to investigate. Chinese police located the suspect and arrested him in June.
According to the ministry, China responded promptly to the U.S. request, reflecting China's resolve to deny safe haven to fugitives from other countries.
The ministry said China and the U.S. will continue to enhance communication and mutual trust and deepen judicial cooperation, such as the sharing of intelligence, to fight transnational crimes.